IAB Human Resources Office
The IAB Human Resources Office provides personnel support advice and services for faculty, staff, and students including facilitating hiring faculty, staff, and students; new employee orientations; employee manuals; benefits information; payroll and time-sheet coordination; employee relations; tuition waivers; tax forms; and supervisor resources.
Office Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Electronic Time Sheet (WTE):
At this time, all IAB employees are submitting their time sheets through UAOnline with the web time sheet entry program (WTE).
Unless otherwise noted, web time sheets have the following due dates:
- Employees: Submit time sheet by noon on the Monday after the pay period ends
- Approvers: Approve time sheets by 5:00 pm on the Tuesday after the pay period ends
Quick Reference Guides for completing your time sheet in UAOnline:
Time sheet proxies are required for approvers. If you are a time sheet approver and are unavailable to approve electronic time sheets, the proxy will be able to approve the time sheet for you. Proxies do not receive automatically generated reminders. IAB Policy is that the IAB Director is listed as a proxy for all supervisors and time sheet approvers.
Direct Deposit Form: You will need your Employee ID # and Department TKL for this form. If you do not have this information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mandatory Training for all UAF Employees:
Required training for all UAF employees must be completed within 30 days of hire or before undertaking specific activities identified as safety concerns by the supervisor or employee (UAF Required Training Policy 04.07.010)
- Please login to MyUA (https://www.alaska.edu/myua), learning library to access the following trainings:
- Hazard Communication
- Back Safety and Injury Prevention
- Behavior Based Safety (BBS) - use Google Chrome
- Workplace Harassment Prevention
- Title IX/ Sexual Misconduct - Employees are required to complete Title IX Annual Training each fiscal year (July 1-June 30).
- Protection of Minors Training
- Protection of Minors "Shine a Light" through Edu Risk. The training can be found here: Protection of Minors: Shine a Light
- Protection of Minors - Duty to Report: Mandated Reporter Training in MyUA
- You can access the following trainings via https://www.uaf.edu/
- Employee Safety Orientation (PowerPoint and Quiz)
- Hazard Communications Training - Choose the most appropriate description of how you work with chemical products and click on the corresponding link to complete your required training: Hazard Communication for Office Workers OR Hazard Communications GHS
- Office Safety (General) (PowerPoint and Quiz)
- Slips, Trips and Falls (PowerPoint and Quiz)
- Department Emergency Action Plan (DEAP) - talk to your supervisor as this is department specific training
All persons working in a laboratory are also required to complete (at a minimum) the Laboratory Safety Training, Introduction to Hazardous Waste Management, and the Chemical Hygiene Plan training. Specific job duties may require further training.
Please contact the IAB Safety Officer for more information at UAF-IAB-Safety@alaska.edu.
Hire and Recruitment of Benefited Positions
Need information about recruiting candidates for open positions? Looking for Salary Schedules, Job Families, or other position classification and compensation process information? Visit the UA HR Talent Acquisition website at https://alaska.edu/hr/talent/
Information on hiring for Benefited Positions:
*Minimum Funding Requirement – 9 months of funding at least ½ time FTE
- Step One: Position Description Creation and Approval
- Step Two: Job Requisition and Recruitment
- Step Three: Offer to desired candidate and remaining Hire Steps (background check, new hire document, etc.)
Please work with your designated IAB Post Award Grant Technician to determine your budget and available funding to support a benefited position. Please contact IAB HR at email@example.com for more information on UA HR policy and procedures.
Hire of Temporary Employees
Hire of Student Employees
Student Eligibility Requirements: Students must be enrolled at UA with a minimum of 6 credits and be maintaining a 2.0 GPA. They are restricted to 20 hours/week during the academic year; they can work full time during the summer.
- Student Assistant Salary Schedule - Effective 1/1/2020
To initiate a hire of a Temporary or Student Employee please submit a Direct Hire Memo with the following information to IAB HR at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Name of applicant
- ID# (if applicable)
- Desired Start Date for position
- End Date of job assignment
- # of hours the employee will work per week
- Fund/Org the employee will charge to
- Description of Job Duties (2-3 sentences of duties)
- At least 1 reference check
Please contact IAB HR at email@example.com for more information.
Concerns addressed by the Faculty Senate include the following: course and program development and change; policies related to academic procedures; academic freedom and faculty rights and responsibilities; and quality of teaching, research and service.
UAF Staff Council provides non-bargaining non-exempt and exempt employees an avenue to help formulate new policies, change existing policies or working conditions, and other matters that affect services provided by the support staff of the University of Alaska Fairbanks.
The sponsoring faculty member must contact IAB HR to initiate visa requests.
Are you traveling outside of the US and need to know what type of visa you need? There are many resources which can be used. A few are listed below.