Spouses and Dependents

Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill enables eligible service members to transfer their eligibility to their dependents, but there are very strict requirements to do so (including an incurred service obligation if the service member has served less than 10 years). To manage these transferred benefits, please see the DoD MilConnect site.

Eligible dependents include:

  • Spouse: Not eligible for BAH while member is on Active Duty unless spouse is also an entitled veteran.
  • Child: Eligible only after member has served at least 10 years. They will receive BAH and the Books stipend.

For more information about the process see Transfer of Benefits. Eligible transferees may access their benefits by creating an account and signing up with VA benefit application.

The Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA) program provides up to $4,000 for degree programs, licenses or credentials that lead to employment in portable career fields. 

For more information on MyCAA, contact Frances Gallagher-Roach at 907-372-3484 or fagallagherroach@alaska.edu.

UAF offers scholarships for military affiliated students and keeps a list of national scholarships our students may qualify for. Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions about scholarship applications or requirements at at 907-474-7400 or uaf-veterans@alaska.edu.

Children of service members who died in the line of duty are eligible for the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship, which entitles full Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits to each eligible child.

The Alaska Department of Military and Veterans Affairs provides a full tuition waiver for a spouse or dependent of an armed service member who died in the line of duty or who died as a result of injuries sustained while in the line of duty or who was listed by the Department of Defense as a Prisoner of War or as Missing in Action. The student must be in good standing in a state-supported educational institution in Alaska. 

The Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant is available to students whose parent or guardian was a member of the US armed forces and died as a result of military service in Iraq or Afghanistan after September 11, 2001. Students must have been under 24 years old or enrolled in college at least part-time at the time of their parent or guardian’s death. The grant award is equal to the amount of a maximum Federal Pell Grant. Application for grant is through the FAFSA. 

There are several national scholarships for dependents of deceased veterans available.