How to transfer VA education benefits to UAF
Students with remaining eligibility can transfer benefits to UAF after having used a portion of their benefits at another school, including UAA or UAS. Students may only have one home institution. Students may, however, take classes at multiple campuses and receive benefits for those classes as long as they count toward their degree at the home institution.
- Apply for admission to the University of Alaska Fairbanks. The VA requires that students apply to an approved program in order to receive benefits. You can use your VA benefits for no more than two semesters before completing your admission status and becoming formally admitted into the program.
- Register for classes. Remember, only the courses that are applicable to your degree
program can be certified for VA benefits. You should work with an academic advisor
and refer to Degree Works to confirm that courses are applicable to your program.
- Submit all previous academic transcripts to the Admissions office. If you are former military, you must apply your Military Transfer Credit to your degree program
- Complete the following forms and send the CRF to the UAF Financial Aid Office: Certification Request form (PDF) and VA Change Form (PDF). Requests are processed within 7-10 business days.
- We do not require a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility in order to begin your benefits, however this document, a DD214 or a copy of a military ID and the Application for Resident Tuition Assessment are needed to grant you residency (in-state tuition) as a military/veteran student.
- Maximize all sources of funding by completing a FAFSA application and UAF Scholarship application. Don't forget to check out the scholarships you might be eligible for on our Veterans' Services scholarship page as well.
- Check your UAF email address frequently. Confirmation of certifications, issues with course certifications, newsletters, and other important, time sensitive information will be sent to your e-mail address only.
- Stay involved! Connect to us on Facebook, or Veteran Services on Blackboard.