New students

First-time student's guide to GI Bill® and VA education benefits

  1. To begin your benefits, you must first complete the application online through the GI Bill website. Please understand this application can take 14-90 days for the VA to process. If you are an active service member interested in transferring benefits to a dependent, please see transferring benefits to dependents.
  2. Next, apply for admission to the University of Alaska Fairbanks. The VA requires students to apply to an approved program in order to receive benefits. You can use your VA benefits for no more than two semesters before completing your admission status and becoming formally admitted into the program. If you are former military, you must apply your Military Transfer Credit to your degree program.
  3. Register for classes. Remember, only the courses that are applicable to your degree program can be certified for VA benefits. You should work with an academic advisor and refer to Degree Works to confirm that courses are applicable to your program.
    Useful links:
  4. Complete the Certification Request Form (Docusign version or PDF version) and return to the Department of Military and Veteran Services. Requests are processed within 7-10 business days.
  5. We do not require a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility in order to begin your benefits, however this document, a DD214 or a copy of a military ID and the Application for Resident Tuition Assessment are needed to grant you residency (in-state tuition) as a military/veteran student.
  6. Maximize all sources of funding by completing a FAFSA application and UAF Scholarship application. Don't forget to check out the scholarships you might be eligible for on our Military and Veterans Services scholarship page as well.
  7. Check your UAF email address frequently. Confirmation of certifications, issues with course certifications, newsletters, and other important, time sensitive information will be sent to your e-mail address only.
  8. Stay involved! Connect to Veteran Services on Blackboard.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).