We look forward to seeing you at the commencement ceremony Saturday, May 4, 2019.
2018-2019 graduation application deadlines
The deadline to apply for spring graduation was Friday, Feb. 15, 2019. The late application deadline (additional fees apply) for graduation was March 15. Review the graduation deadlines below for more information.
- Fall: Monday, Oct. 15, 2018
- Spring: Friday, Feb. 15, 2019
- Summer: Monday, July 15, 2019
Graduation application fees
- Before Friday, Feb. 15, 2019 deadline: $50
- After Friday, Feb. 15, 2019 deadline: $80 late fee
There is no rehearsal. Grad Fair and the informational session is your chance to find out about May 4 commencement. Get one-on-one support for all your graduation-related questions at the following dates and times:
- March 4, 4-6 p.m., informational session, CTC, 604 Barnette St.
- March 6, 11:30 a.m.-2 p.m., Grad Fair, Wood Center ballroom.
There will be corn dogs, root beer floats, door prizes and more.
- Order your regalia and enter to win a $50 gift certificate
- Pose for a free professional photo (head shot)
- Ask about honors designations
- Set up time to have your resume reviewed by Career Services
- Network with local alumni and find out about the Alumni Association
- Ask questions about specific accommodations available to you and your family
- Find out about UAF’s Graduate School
- Enter a drawing for a chance to win a photo or Bookstore package.
- Post photos to social media — #uafgrad2019
- Send a thank-you card to a faculty member who inspired you
- Learn more about applying to be the 2019 student commencement speaker
- There will be a check-in for students who may be eligible to graduate this year.
These events are co-sponsored by the UAF Alumni Association.
For more information, email email@example.com.
Commencement invitations, caps, gowns and other regalia must be bought before commencement. These items are not included in the graduation fee. They must be purchased from the UAF Bookstore's online service by March 24.
After March 24, please contact the UAF Bookstore for assistance at 907-474-6858.
- On graduation day you may need bobby pins and safety pins; be sure to bring a small supply.
- If you're getting a certificate or an associate or bachelor's degree, you'll wear a black gown.
- Master's degree candidates wear a black gown with velvet trim and their hood to the ceremony.
- Ph.D. candidates receive their hood on stage.
- How to wear the academic hood
To RSVP for commencement and to ensure a reader card is ready for you at the ceremony, contact Graduation Services at 907-474-7500 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Graduates, plus one guest, are invited to a party hosted by The Pub and the UAF Alumni Association. The bash begins at 8 p.m., April 27. Must be 21+, show ID and be on the list of graduates to participate. To confirm you're on the list, call The Pub manager at 474-7805 or Graduation Services at 474-7500.
Please arrive at the Carlson Center on Saturday, May 4, 2019, between noon and 12:20 p.m. to line up with your college or school and to collect any additional regalia. Commencement line-up and roll call for students is at 12:30 p.m.
The processional will start promptly at 1:20 p.m. The stage party, emeriti, faculty and Ph.D. candidates will march to their seats on the main floor, and the degree candidates will be prompted to begin their march to the main floor. Within each college it will be graduate students first, followed by undergraduate students. Once you're on the main floor, you will be directed into a row of seats with your college/school. Don't sit down until after the national anthem and the reader instructs you to do so.
The ceremony begins with opening comments, the commencement speaker, and recognition of honorary degree, Meritorious Service Award and emeriti recipients. The chancellor will then ask students to stand while a regent accepts all degree candidates. Commencement floor volunteers will direct students by school and college to line up along the left side aisle. You'll be directed by the stage volunteers to walk to the top of the stairs. As the reader calls your name, you'll walk across, receive your diploma cover, shake hands with your dean and the chancellor, and continue down the stairs off stage. At the bottom of the stairs, you'll be directed to have your photo taken with your diploma cover and you'll then return to your seat.
After all degrees have been presented, students will be asked to rise for the changing of tassels from the right to the left. Remain standing for the recessional. The stage party will exit first, followed by faculty. You will remain in your row as the stage party and faculty exit. Students will be directed to exit up the center aisle, through the honor gauntlet where you can greet your professors, and ending up outside where you can meet with your family and friends.
Some things to note:
- Your diploma will not be inside your diploma cover. Graduates from last August or December have already received their diplomas. Students graduating this spring have just finished finals, and it will take a few weeks to calculate grades.
- Conferring of degrees at the ceremony is provisional, pending verification that all your degree requirements have been met. When your degree is posted you will be able to view it on your unofficial transcript at UAOnline. Your diploma will be mailed to you by the end of June.
- If you do not want or need the diploma cover you received at the ceremony, please leave it on your seat and we'll gladly use it for another student.
Far-flung family and friends can't attend? They can stream the ceremony live beginning at 1:15 p.m. on May 4.
Photography will be provided by Grad Images. Photos will be available for purchase from their website after the event. For more information, contact Grad Images at 800-261-2576.
University Relations' photographers will cover the event, and selected images will be posted on this site in the commencement photo gallery. Contact email@example.com for more information about any of these images.
After the ceremony, graduates and their families are invited to a reception hosted by the UAF Alumni Association in the Pioneer Room.
If you graduated last August or December, you should have already received your diploma. If you are a spring graduate, please check your current mailing address on UAOnline and make any updates to it by May 18. This will be the address we use to send your diploma. You can update your address on UAOnline or in person at the Office of the Registrar, Signers' Hall.
Please pay your bills, because you won't get your diploma until you do. (The same thing goes for keeping a university key that's been issued to you.) Check your financial status at UAOnline or with the Bursar's Office before you leave campus so you don't get caught by surprise. However, you can still participate in the commencement ceremony even if your university debt has not been settled.
Caps, gowns and invitations are not included in the graduation fee and must be purchased separately. Contact the bookstore at 907-474-6858.
Graduation with honors
Final grades aren't calculated until after commencement, but for the ceremony we do identify students who meet preliminary requirements and who would make honors if they earn all A's as graduating with honors. These “potential honors” will be printed in the commencement program and announced when the degree candidate's name is read. Final determination of honors will be made after all grades have been received and your true GPA calculation has been determined. Honors are designated on the diploma and on your UAF transcript.
If a graduating student requires special seating, a large print program, an enhanced audio unit or other assistance at the commencement ceremony, please contact Disability Services, at 907-474-5655 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If a guest has similar needs, please also email email@example.com.
- For questions about your account balance or fees:
Please contact the Office of the Bursar at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 907-474-7384, or stop by the office on the first floor of Signers' Hall.
- For questions related to honors, graduation status and commencement:
Please contact Graduation Services at email@example.com or by phone at 907-474-6300, or stop by the office on the first floor of Signers' Hall.