Proposal Review and Endorsement
As UAF's authorized institutional office, OGCA staff review and approve all proposals on behalf of the Principal Investigator and the University. OGCA provides a comprehensive pre-submission administrative review to ensure a complete and accurate proposal and compliance with sponsor and UAF institutional policies. At times, OGCA requests changes that will bring the proposal into compliance with guidelines and policies, or suggest changes to enhance funding success. When the proposal is complete, OGCA provides institutional endorsement of the proposal.
OGCA reserves the right to require changes based on specifics of a review, sponsor requirements, and/or changes to institutional policy.
OGCA Review Processes
Once OGCA receives all necessary documents, our staff complete the proposal review process. This involves the following, but is not an exhaustive or all-inclusive list:
- Reviewing the solicitation, program announcement, or request for proposals (RFP) (if applicable)
- Gathering any past related proposals or awards (e.g., for non-competing continuations)
- Assuring that the principal investigator, all co-investigators, the dean or director, fiscal officer, and proposal coordinator (as applicable) have signed off on the proposal
- Assuring that all required conflict of interest certifications have been completed (when applicable)
- Verifying appointments and salaries in Banner for all UAF personnel listed on the proposal and ensuring that salaries for unnamed research staff are reasonable
- Reconciling effort commitments in the proposal
- Verifying that correct rates and bases have been applied and calculated in the budget for fringe benefits and facilities and administrative costs (F&A)
- Confirming cost sharing requirements and University funding sources (when applicable)
- Reviewing equipment quotes, subaward budgets, protocol approvals, etc. (when applicable)
- Reviewing the budget justification to ensure that the explanation of budget line items is reasonable and accurate, includes only allowable costs, and matches the work proposed
- Reviewing the proposal documents to ensure that all sponsor requirements have been addressed and that page limits and other formatting requirements are accordance with the sponsor guidelines