Living on campus not only is convenient and affordable, it's a great way to find a home within the university community.
Experience all that campus has to offer. In order to complete a housing application you must be admitted to the university and have set up your UA username and password and have access to UAOnline. Contact UA OIT for assistance with your UA username.
Exception to policy requests are evaluated based on individual circumstances and must be accompanied by appropriate documentation.
Looking to host an event? Download and complete our Hess Village Community Center Reservation Form.
You are required to sign and return this form even if you answer 'No' to all questions.
Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) requires an authorization form for the release of student information.
Washer or dryer not working? Sink clogged? Fill out our online form to place a work order.
To move-out of your apartment please log on to your UAOnline account. Follow the path of logging into UAOnline > Student Services & Account Information > Campus Housing, Dining and Post Office Link > UAF Link > Applications and Forms > Select and compete the Housing Cancellation Form > Receive a confirmation email in your preferred email box.
- You will first complete this housing eligibility determination application. Then you will receive an email outlining the housing options for which you qualify. You will also be granted access to the housing application(s) you qualify for via this same housing portal.
- After you receive the email, you can choose which housing option(s) interest you and complete the appropriate housing application(s).
To access our applications, follow the path of logging into UAOnline > Student Services & Account Information> Campus Housing, Dining and Post Office Link >UAF Link > Applications and Forms > Complete the Housing Eligibility Application > Select EFG Housing Application and Submit.
- EFG Application Steps:
- Sign Housing Agreement
- Answer Housing Questions
- Attach documents is needed.
- Hall/Room Type Preferences
- Confirmation page
- Next steps confirmation email
HOUSING ASSIGNMENT PROCESS
- Your application will be reviewed by our EFG Housing Assignments Coordinator and you will receive a notice via email that you have either been placed on the waitlist or that we can house you immediately. Please note that you will automatically be placed on the waitlist if you apply more than one month prior to your expected move-in date. Being placed on the waitlist does not indicate your likelihood of being housed by your desired move-in date. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about the possibility of being housed by your desired move-in date.
- When the EFG Housing Assignments Coordinator has identified a unit for you, they will request payment of the processing fee via email.
- After we received your processing fee, we will run a background, credit, and conduct check. If anything comes up during these checks, we will follow up with you to discuss your options.
- After clearing the checks, we will send you an official housing offer letter. To accept the offer you will pay the first half of your $600.00 housing deposit and confirm your move-in date and time. This $300.00 will be used as a reservation deposit and applied to your $600.00 housing deposit after you move into your unit. If you cancel your housing after this point, you will forfeit your $300.00 reservation deposit. The remaining $300.00 of your housing deposit, applicable $1000.00 pet deposit, outstanding documentation, and first month prorated rent will be due on the day you move into your unit.
Updating application, hall/room preferences or canceling your housing application
- If you would like to cancel you housing application, please submit a housing cancellation form. You may forfeit your deposit and may be subject to room fees. Please see your housing agreement for details.
- After submitting your housing application, please contact the Residence Life Central Office to update your application preference.
According to research, on-campus students do better academically than their peers who live off-campus. Nationally, as well as at UAF, students who live on campus persist in school and have a higher graduation rate than those who do not. On-campus students find it easier to take advantage of academic assistance services and also get increased motivation by working alongside their peers.
Safety and Security
Residence halls are locked 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Residents are issued a Polar Express card, which grants them entrance to their residence hall. Guests and visitors must be escorted at all times. Exterior entrances to halls are checked nightly by Security Officers. Professional Staff live in each building and Resident Assistants are on duty each night. Safety Awareness Programs and evacuation drills occur each semester.
Students are within walking distance of classrooms, Rasmuson Library, Wood Center Student Union, Dine49 Cafeteria, and the Student Recreation Center.
Living on campus is often more economical than living off campus. There is no worry about monthly bills - students pay only once a semester! Services such as high-speed internet, water, and electricity are included in this total cost.
Caring, trained, and professional staff care about each student's experience at UAF. Staff also provide resources, support, and programming to enhance the student experience.
Beginning in their freshman year, many students build their resume by working for Residence Life or other campus departments. Students learn problem-solving skills and sustainable practices to follow as they are encouraged to take personal responsibility for their community.
On-campus students get the opportunity to interact on a deeper level with a diverse group of their peers, forming friendships and memories that last a lifetime.
Frequently Asked Employee, Family, Graduate Housing Questions
Residence Life offers efficiency apartments, 1-2-3 bedroom apartments,1-2-3 bedroom triplexes, and 2 bedroom duplexes. Please contact the Department of Residence Life Central Office to find out what units are available at the time of your application. Building preferences are not guaranteed and are subject to availability.
- Efficiency Apartment within Harwood Hall (1 Occupant Only)
- Shared Apartment within Garden and Sustainable Village (1 Occupant Only)
- One-Bedroom Apartment within Harwood, Walsh, and Hess Village (1-2 Occupants)
- One-Bedroom Apartment with optional Garage within Stuart (1-2 Occupants)
- Two-Bedroom Apartment within Hess Village (1-4 Occupants, priority to those with children)
- Three-Bedroom Apartment within Hess Village (1-6 Occupants, priority to those with children)
- One-Bedroom Home with Garage on N Chandalar or Tanana (1-3 Occupants)
- Two-Bedroom Home with Garage on N Chandalar or Tanana (1-4 Occupants, priority to those with children)
- Three-Bedroom Home with Garage on N Chandalar (1-6 Occupants, priority to those with children)
Yes, when you apply, you are automatically placed on the waiting list for all the units you requested on your application. You can also stay on the waiting list until your preferred unit becomes available. You will receive an email with your wait list status. If you are a current EFG Housing resident and you'd like to be placed on the wait list for a different unit, you will need to complete a new housing application.
- Please be aware that while we do our best not to move residents after we assign them, situation outside of our control may result in your assignment changing. Rooms with vacancies may be consolidated to ensure we use our housing space efficiently.
- If you did not get assigned your preferred room type, you can be added to our internal waitlist. Please contact the EFG Housing Coordinator to be added to this list.
Meal plans are optional for EFG Housing residents but may fit your needs.
- There are specific meal plans for Employees!
- You can order groceries on campus through the Chartwells Market!
- Review the meal plan options
- Although meal plans are chosen through the housing website, please direct all meal plan questions to Dining Services at 907-474-6661 or email email@example.com.
Yes, your residence hall deposit is transferable. The single student deposit is $315 and the EFG Housing deposit is $600. If you transfer your residence hall deposit, you need to pay an additional $285 for your deposit.
Yes, all units have assigned parking spaces unless you are in a Chandalar or Hess Village graduate apartment. Please note that parking is limited and you may have to park in guest parking if you have not purchased the assigned spot.
Rent is due on the first of each month. Rent will be posted two weeks prior to it being due. A late fee of $35.00 will be added to your rent for all payments made after the first business day of each month.
- How do you pay your fees?
- In person
- The cashier's windows of the Office of the Bursaron the 1st floor of Signers' Hall, Mon.-Fri., 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m., or Weds., 10 a.m.-4:30 p.m. (please specify that your payment is for Housing).
- By mail
- Send checks payable to "UAF", clearly marked to ensure it is credited to the proper
student account, to:
UAF Office of the Bursar
O. Box 757640
Fairbanks, AK 99775-7640
Note:A $30 charge and a hold will be placed on your account for returned checks. This will prevent you from registering, viewing grades, receiving transcripts and from graduation activity.
- Send checks payable to "UAF", clearly marked to ensure it is credited to the proper student account, to:
- Students can make payments 24 hours a day, seven days a week, on-line. Log into UAOnline to pay with all major credit cards or a checking account. Please note that a 2.75% ($3 minimum) transaction fee will be applied to all credit and debit card transactions. If you are paying with a debit card or have a daily limit on your credit card, contact your bank to tell them you are paying university tuition and fees to ensure your card won't be declined.
- Wire transfer
- Contact the Office of the Bursar for UAF banking information at 907-474-7384. Ensure the financial institution references the student name and ID number so we can apply the payment to the right person. Please allow at least two weeks for the wire transfers to post to your student account.
- In person
Utilities such as heat, water, trash disposal, electricity, and wifi are included in billing.
- Rates for the 2019/2020 academic year
- A $25 programming fee will be applied to your UAF account when your housing fees are applied.
Communication between housing and students
- All communication is through your preferred email account as designated on UAOnline!
- We may also need to call you, please make sure you have your mobile phone designated on UAOnline. Please make sure you set up your voicemail to receive important messages.
- We can also text you important dates and package notifications. Please provide us with your mobile carrier on your housing application if you want to receive this notices.
Certain types of pets are permitted including fish, small caged animals, dogs, and cats. Residents are limited to types and numbers of pets depending on the unit. Detailed information about pet policies can be found on in our pet policy. All pets must be registered with the Department of Residence Life.
All apartments are furnished. Furnishings vary from unit to unit, but you can expect a sofa, arm chair, dining table with four chairs, bedroom dresser, a desk and chair, coffee table, and end tables.
Yes, as long as you are financially interdependent. If you are unmarried, submit a completed and notarized Financial Interdependence Form with your application.